Excel is a great tool for data manipulation. One feature that can come in handy is the ability to pivot a data row into a column or pivot data in a column of information into a row.
It’s actually quite easy to do data pivots in Excel. Pivoting into the horizontal or vertical form that you need is just a few clicks away.
I’ve been doing pivots primarily in Office 2007, but the principals should stay the same in more modern versions of Excel.
Here, step-by-step, is how to pivot your data:
- In your Excel Worksheet select either the row or column of text you want to pivot
- Use the Ctrl-C key combination to copy the data
- Now click on the starting cell where you want to pivot your data to
- Right-Click the starting cell to show the Options window
- Select the option to Paste Special
- In the Paste Special popup window click the Transpose checkbox at the bottom right
- Click the OK button: Your data will now appear pivoted
I hope this tip has been useful to you. Please leave a comment below if you have other handy Excel tips to share.